Sunday, July 15, 2007

We all know that many post made on blogs are formed by whats going on around us. Well, I've been fighting a slowly losing almost one man battle for a few years. And today, after curcumstances I'd rather not get into led me to write whats below, I've deieced to get a few new weapons. So not only is this going onto this blog, which is about to be doubled in readers. (since theres like one, there might be more.) But this essay will be submitted to be published, where people will actully read it. So long as I can find some one to take it. Remember, this is writtin to a teacher, and not edited to fit a mass market. Enjoy.

After much internal debate and a look at the example explicate, I’ve decided not to do this, along with a few other assignments. I’ve included a list below. Not because I find them difficult to understand, or to perform, nor because I never cared for Dickinson. But because I choose to remain fighting what I’ve been fighting against for many years. The senseless destruction of art and arts enjoyment.
For many years and too little avail, I’ve been trying to steer people away from picking apart stories, poems, sonnets, and other forms of art. It demolishes the whole point of art. Never was a story written for people to explain, never was a painting brushed to be seen as part of the artist’s subconscious. They were created to enjoy, to teach, and to preserve a part of history. Whether, if in the artist life, or in the worlds.
By looking at works of art they way we are now being taught to in school, it not only removes the enjoyment of reading the works of Dickens, Twain, Dante and many others; but it voids the original point of education all together. Which was to teach people to read, so they can read such works, and to write, so the students themselves can write works for generations after them.
I will answer questions to prove I have read these stories, if needed, and I will explain the morals, as they come across to me. Or I will take the poor grades for these assignments, but I’ve explained my reasons, and that’s more important to me then continuing to kill an artist’s work.
And yes, I realize teachers have little power to change what must be taught in their classrooms. And I know what I’m writing will not do me much good, nor will it help my cause, but I choose to believe that revolutions start with one person. So the more people I share my point with, the more might rally behind it.
And if in fact you would like, I will send you some of the essays and stories I have written over the last year or so to prove I understand writing concepts, and proper form, although I seldom hold to some of them for the purpose of being original. I do believe that proper form, grammar, and other concepts that help people become better writers should be taught in schools; and that past works should be read in schools. I want to make it clear I’m not against schooling, reading, and being able to understand what an author is writing. I’m just opposed to explaining every last detail of a story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home